Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Creating a Classroom Library



I can't believe its August already! As the summer is beginning to come to an end, teachers are starting to set up their classrooms. Setting up the classroom library can prove to be especially challenging for new teachers. How do you create a classroom library that is both organized and works for your specific readers? I did so using a combination of labeling books by topic and level. I have a classroom of 6 students that have a variety of different needs. So using just one organizational method wasn't going to work for my kids. Heres how I did it: 

First separate your leveled readers out from your other books. I entered into a new classroom so I had some leveled readers that I brought with me and some were left from the old classroom. Once you have all your leveled readers ready, develop a labeling system that is quick and easy. Mine was colored smiley face sticker system: 




Red: Beginning Readers
Yellow: Beginner- Low Middle
Green: Middle – High
Blue: High (independent reading) 







Once you are done labeling your leveled readers, place them into a bin starting with reds in the front then yellows, greens, ect. Label the front of your bin with the label above so teachers and assistants have easy access to levels. Once you know your students abilities, create and laminate a cheat sheet of each child's current level so assistants (and students if you wish) know which books meet each child's individualized needs. 

Now after the leveled readers have been placed into a colored bin. Sort the rest of your books by topic. 




I sorted them based on the books I had in my classroom so you will have to do the same. If you want some ideas for topics to sort into here is a list of mine: 

  • Leveled Readers
  • Letters/Numbers/Colors/Shapes
  • Storytime Books
  • Lesson Plans (books used to teach lessons) 
  • Scholastic Readers
  • Nickelodeon/Nick Jr. 
  • Disney Books
  • Dr. Seuss
  • Trains/Trucks
  • Pair it Books (Instructor reads 1 page/child reads 1 page)
  • Seasonal/Holiday Books
  • Animals
  • Feelings/Life Skills 
  • Chapter Books
  • Workbooks/Coloring Books 

You can download my labels HERE! Enjoy :D




No comments:

Post a Comment